Create a Zen Space with your Family over Spring Break
Spring has sprung!! We’ve made it through the thick of winter and we are starting to see the blossoms on the trees, birds chirping in the air, and the sun staying out a bit longer in the evenings. Spring is the best time to shake off the dormancy of winter and clean out all the clutter around the house. Out here on the farm, we are watching the ground start to thaw and we are so excited to start digging in the dirt and planting our 2018 lavender plants.
This time of year is the perfect time to do some rearranging and redecorating. Get rid of the décor that no longer serves you, clean out those junk drawers, and add some minimalist Zen into your daily life. We thought it would be a fun idea to create a Zen space in your home during spring break – and even include the kiddos (or fur kids!) in on the project.
Is there a space in your home that is cluttered or under-utilized? Perhaps there is a high-traffic area that could use a little streamlining? Whatever the case - here are our tips to create a little Zen in your home during this spring season:
1. Get in the Mood. We recommend to get in the Zen mood by first reading the book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. As the Amazon book review says, “Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo takes tidying to a whole new level, promising that if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you’ll never have to do it again.”
2. Spa Scents. Bring the scents of a relaxing spa home with you by diffusing natural essential oils into the air. We love our organic lavender essential oil diffused throughout our home. It makes the atmosphere feel light and stress-free. We also enjoy a spritz of our linen and room spray on furniture and bedding.
3. Clean out the closet + junk drawer. We all have one, a junk drawer, a junk closet, clothes we haven’t worn for 5 years – all that has got to go! Clean out your drawers full of half-eaten gum, old coupons, and faded receipts. When cleaning out your closet, imply this rule: Have I worn this in the last 12 months? If the answer is no donate it to someone who will.
4. Put some paint on it. Sometimes all a room needs is a coat of fresh paint. Do the colors of your home invoke relaxation and peace or is it busy and wild. Perhaps busy and wild is your idea of peace. Whatever your style – pick a color that makes you happy. Preferences change and it’s fun to mix it up. A new fresh color on the wall will spruce your space right up. If painting a whole room is too much of a commitment, perhaps find a piece of artwork that really speaks to your soul.
5. Green thumb. Houseplants are a human’s best friend when it comes to cleaning the air, offering fresh oxygen, regulating indoor temperature, reducing levels of pollutants, and increasing humidity. They also happen to be beautiful to look at and make you feel like you are at peace in nature. A few beautiful houseplants for beginner’s include: Snake Plant, Succulents, Cacti, Philodendrons, and maybe even a cute plastic one from amazon!
We hope this list helps you kick start your Zen space this spring.
Enjoy your Spring Break!