One of the best and underutilized uses for lavender is for cooking savory meals. With the weather cooling down and our bodies going into warming winter mode, we crave hearty dishes that warm the soul. We blended up a concoction of herbs to create a lavender rub for your chicken that will elevate a simple weeknight dinner into a gourmet, five-star feast for your family: One Pan Lavender Roasted Chicken and Potatoes. We hope you enjoy!
For the spice blend:
2 tsp Sweet Streams culinary lavender, ground (grind in coffee bean grinder or with pestle / muddler)
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp rosemary
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp savory
1 tbsp kosher salt
½ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
For the Chicken and Potatoes:
1 3lb whole chicken (skin on, gizzards removed)
Olive oil, to preference
Juice from half a lemon
Spice Blend, above
2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
Preheat oven to 350 F
1. Rinse and pat chicken try with paper towel removing extra moisture.
2. Generously drizzle olive oil over the entire chicken rubbing it in to all parts then squeeze lemon juice over the chicken.
3. Using half of the spice blend, sprinkle over the chicken generously rubbing the spice all over until the entire chicken surface is covered. Depending on the size of your bird – you may need to blend up more spices. Place chicken on a roasting pan.
4. Quarter 2 pounds of red potatoes with skin on, drizzle olive oil over the top and coat potatoes with remaining spice blend – adding additional kosher salt to taste / preference. Mix using your hands. Place potatoes around chicken in roasting pan.
5. Bake chicken and potatoes uncovered for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until internal temperature reads 180 F. Let rest, covered for 15 minutes before serving.
6. Serve with a tossed salad or vegetable of your choice.
Pair with your favorite white wine.
Cheers to you and your family this holiday season!
Joe and Christina